Official Opening of Morpeth Railway Station
08 September 2020
Following its refurbishment Morpeth Railway Station was officially opened on the 8th September 2020 by Andy Savage, Executive Director of the Railway Heritage Trust.
The building originally opened in 1847 and was designed by local architect Benjamin Green who was also responsible for numerous civic and public buildings, including many railway stations on the East Coast Main Line.
Napper Architects involvement in the project dates to 2012 when commissioned by Greater Morpeth Development Trust to prepare option appraisals followed by planning and listed building applications. In 2017 Napper Architects teamed up with John Curtis (conservation architect and former director of Napper) to successfully bid for and deliver the tender and construction stages of the project.
Conservation work included removing inappropriate infill to allow the entrance portico to be re-opened, re-instating the historic chimney stacks, repairing the stonework, and exposing and repairing the roof structure. The station now accommodates a new entrance hub, ticket office, café, taxi office and managed business units.
The development required close collaboration with Greater Morpeth Development Trust, Northumberland Council, Network Rail, the Railway Heritage Trust, the National Lottery Heritage Fund, Northern Rail, project manager Vextrix and principal contractor STP Construction.